2/5/11

What's this Surprise?

If you hang out on Nappturality in the loc forum, you may already know.  If not, well I had my hair colored professionally for the first time.  I went to my loctician yesterday.  She colored, retightened, and styled my hair.  I admittedly couldn't keep the style because my scalp just wasn't having it.  It is incredibly partial to not being pulled up or back which at this length means that I'm sort of limited in terms of what I can pull off without making my scalp sore or getting a headache.

I chose to go with a red shade, and wanted to obtain it without bleaching. This is the photo I took in as inspiration. It was taken from the web so if it belongs to you, please let me know.


I think she did a great job of getting me similar results that weren't too bright and actually worked with my complexion. 

As for the process well she mixed up the dye concoction, and let it sit for a bit.  In the meantime I was taken to the sink and my hair was rinsed with warm water until the locs were completely saturated with water.  She squeezed out most of it, leaving the locs damp but not soaking wet.  Then came the color.  She put it on and massaged it completely through my locs.  It didn't feel as if she was trying to push the dye all the way through, but I'm not positive. After my locs were completely drenched in the dye solution, she placed a conditioner cap (thin clear shower cap like device) over my locs, and placed me under the dryer. After about 30-35 minutes I came out and my hair was rinsed and shampooed until there was no longer color in the water. 
I do know this much, it was better to have someone else washing and rinsing out dye than it was to do it myself.  It was well worth it in my opinion. 









The last two photos are after a slept on roller set done for a night out. My hair is completely dry unlike the photos taken at my loctician's place.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE the Color!!! I think that is one of my goal's for this year...coloring my hair. The curls look great as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your hair is pretty! I recognize your inspiration pic. She is a stylist in Birmingham, AL. I think her name is Sabrina.

    ReplyDelete